Friday, September 26, 2014

Super Mex - The Quest for the Perfect Chili Relleno Burrito

I realize I do not make healthy choices. My wife got really mad at me because she caught me making a bagel at midnight last night. But eating a bagel right before you go to bed can't be that bad for you, right? I mean, it's not packed with meaty cholesterol and it's not deep fried. It even has fruit! (Raisin Bagel)

It kind of reminds me of how I reason with myself whenever I stare deep into a menu at any Mexican Restaurant. I always promise my wife that I will eat healthy and I use some sort of Jedi mind tricks to convince myself that a Chili Relleno burrito is good for you. I mean, it's not packed with meaty cholesterol and I think chili is a vegetable, right?

Chili Rellenos are basically a big fat chili that has been force fed handfuls of cheese, battered with an egg based coating and deep fried till the oil soaks in and turns the cheese into a gooey super blob.

Super Mex Chili Relleno Burrito
It looks like the chili relleno is making a face at me and sticking its tongue out.

I am on the constant search for the world's greatest Chili Relleno burrito. Today at work we stopped in at Super Mex in Riverside CA. Super Mex is pretty clean inside but I hate the seating. I always feel so crammed in but maybe it's because I'm getting fatter. Oh, and there's always like 5 cops eating there at all times. It's not like I have meth in my pockets or anything to hide but I just can't relax when I'm there.

Super Mex Burrito
Super Mex Chili Relleno Burrito Pre-Devouring

Super Mex makes a decent sized burrito. The plate is actually smaller than a dinner plate so it looks much bigger. It's a chain restaurant so they try to keep their portions cost effective unlike a mom and pop place where they have the power to make gigantic pillow sized burritos.

Oh So Fat Mark Lim
Nom Nom

As far as the taste goes I quite enjoyed it. It was packed with melty cheese that spilled over on the rice and chili itself was quite flavorful. The trickiest part usually is the batter. If you get it too eggy it becomes gross but Super Mex had just the right amount.

Final Bite - Super Mex Chili Relleno Burrito
The Final Bite

Super Mex makes a pretty good, maybe not so healthy, chili relleno burrito. The one thing that could probably be improved upon is the tortilla. I believe that you can really tell how good a restaurant is by the tortillas they use. Taco Bell for instance has that pure white always limp and cold tortilla. This one was definitely not freshly made but it had a nice char, crisp, soft, and had a little chewy which I like. 

Category Score Comment
Taste: 8 Good cheese and chili. Could use better tortilla
Presentation: 6 When I first saw the burrito I wasn't too impressed visually.
Value 6 I think it was around $7 for the burrito which is on the high end.
Satisfaction: 7I did enjoy myself and was quite full. 
Rating: 7 out of 10


Super Mex is in between a mom and pop family Mexican restaurant and an El Torrito. It's a decent Mexican Restaurant. Food takes a while, their complimentary chips are kind of weird (large tostada shaped) cops are always there, but the food is good and the price is doable.

Would I eat here again? Yes, because it's "healthy."

Be Fat! Be Happy!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks good, glad u are back!

Simo said...

very happy you're back! you are one of my heroes!
if you ever come to italy i'll be glad to host you and take you to the best food we have (and we have tons of it!)
i'm serious!

John said...

Hey I'm enjoying your reviews! Keep them coming please!!

zerry ht said...

Wow it looks so delicious. Water came in my mouth when I see its last bite picture. Hey can I get the same dish at San Francisco restaurants? I really want to try it, and I wish I can get same flavour. I am really a food lover and I always try new recipes at my home.

Anonymous said...


Good post! I am also going to write a blog post about this... thanks

amazon coupon

Anonymous said...


Very nice post, impressive. its quite different from other posts. Thanks for sharing.
shopping coupon    

Anonymous said...


Thanks so much for an amazing blog! So much work and sharing. I am truly impressed.
KFC Food Coupon

Riya Singh said...

That looks fantastic! thanks for sharing the recipe.
order online food

David Ronaldo said...

Fast food is always tasty,
restaurants in dana point

Anonymous said...

Look so yummy. You are so creative and clever. Lean a lot.
Restaurant Management Software

Gane said...

Thesedays everything is available online, and so do the seeler are occupying the online market vastly. For your spices online jsut visit here.Raw Honey Online, Black Pepper Online, Buy cardamom online