Friday, October 3, 2008

Tommy's: Triple Chili Cheese Burger and Chili Cheese Fries ($9) Rating: 9

Mark Lim - It's a scientific fact that when you eat a World Famous Original Tommy's Mega Combo Meal your life span is reduced by 2 years. I think they make you sign a waiver when you order one but it's totally worth it.

As soon as you unwrap the Triple Cheese Burger from it's greasy translucent paper your entire body will be covered in their world famous Chili. It kind of just explodes on you like your heart does after you eat it. Mmm...

If I were on death row and they asked me what I wanted for my last meal it would definitely involve Tommy's. I'd probably eat two and say, "Woo hoo! Strap me up to the chair, I'm done!"

Once you pick up the burger it's hard to put down. You have to eat as fast as you can or it will just melt all over your clothes.

I think they crumble little Prozac pills into the cheese because I always feel happy after eating one.

Isn't it awesomely disgusting?

If you're on the fence about becoming a vegetarian you have to eat one. It'll convince you to join the dark side.

Tommy's - Triple Chili Cheese Burger & Chili Fries
Taste ------------ (9) So greasy and delicious
Presentation ---(8) It's got that old timey burger stand feel
Price ------------- (8) $9 = Burger, Fries, Drink
Availability ----- (7) Based in California, expanding to Nevada
Quantity --------- (8) Oh so good Oh so fat
Satisfaction ----- (9) You won't want to eat for the rest of the day

Rating: 9 out of 10

When I think of Tommy's I think of everything that's wrong with America. We are all so gluttonous, fat, and greedy. We have no boundaries, etiquette, or self control. We want everything and anything in sight and I dig it.

16 comments:

SnapandPrint said...

So messy it must taste good.

tarnishedsilver said...

we have a "tommy's jr" in my hometown. same concept. probably owned by the same people, otherwise you'd think there would be some kind of lawsuit. it is absolutely disgusting. i don't even think i need to make a witty comment because it's all there in the visuals. no need to point out the obvious, i guess.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE ASIAN FOOD, MMMH!!!
THANKS!
Op

Please see this:
http://bestplacetovisit.blogspot.com

Taylor Castaneda said...

i'm happy to hear that you enjoyed tommy's. it's true you do in fact shave months of your life each and every time you consume a tommy's burger. (which is the exact reason i almost never eat tommy's.)

in reply to the comment above, tommy jr's is not owned by tommy's original burgers. there are several knock offs but tommy's is not in fact affiliated with any of them.

mark next time you want tommy's you have to call me. i'll take you to the original shack and you can get the VIP treatment! :) let me know if you want any gift certificates. hope you are well.
-taylor

B said...

Tommy's is my favorite place to eat. It's What I miss most about living in LA.

Unknown said...

Hey, tarnishedsilver,

Tommy's Jr. is a rip-off.

If you don't see the shack, take it back.

Tommy's will always call themselves Tommy's. Not Tommie's, not the Great Tommy's, not Tommy's Jr., just Tommy's.

I've eaten at a "Tommie's" before, and it was awful. It's got sour chili and poorly cooked beef.

The original is still the best chili cheeseburger around.

the soul of japan said...

I've been living in Japan for awhile now and no matter how much I love Japanese food, I'd fly back just for one day to eat this burger! I've been eating Tommy's Original since the early 80s when I lived on Vermont. Great pics!

Anonymous said...

Yikes. What about Pie N Burger (Pasadena) and La Grande Orange (Pasadena) and BOA (Los Angeles) and oh so many others. Chicago. New York. The list goes on.

Unknown said...

This kind of "chili cheese burger" sadly doesn't exist in Germany.
In this country we are talking about chili cheese when there is a cheap cheese sauce combined with 2 jalapeno slices on your burger.

I guess whenever I travel to America I'll spend my money in fastfood. :D

Will travel for food! said...

Ive never been fond of Tommy's chili though I love their cheese burgers and cheese fries used to hit up Beverly and Rampart every Monday for late night tummy filler...

EpicConsumption said...

Tried this at CityWalk LA.

Love chili on my burger

Kyle B. said...

I love Tommy's. I have fond memories of going there back when I was in my university's band. It would be a mecca for us. God, now I have to get myself some Tommy's!

Unknown said...

I just found your blog tonight when googling "Dennys" after watching a Breaking Bad re-run on Netflix.... Dude - I can honestly say I am enjoying your food reviews more than Breaking Bad!!! (saying that, I have watched BB about 6 times already) - that said, you need a TV show - team up with Adam Richman... Keep up the good work :-D

Matt

OmniNOM said...

Wow this is possibly the most delicious looking burger I have ever seen.

That chili is perfection. The east coast needs this.

kimdy said...

I am in the 50 year old range, and lived in So Cal for the vast majority of my life... It wasn't until I was 20 or so and moved to Los Angeles that I discovered Tommy's. *sigh* Yes, that first time was the original location, middle of the night, post a concert, and drunk to the gills. I vaguely remember thinking, this food in the broad light of day would OBVIOUSLY be disgusting as hell, but now? 3am or so? AWESOME!

A week or so later, had it for lunch, NO booze in sight, just 'cuz... And again, it was AWESOME!

Pretty much lived there for the next four years or so, before I moved back to the San Diego area, and then spent ages mourning it's non-existence. Suddenly? There was an announcement, they were building one in Clairemont! omfg! Was truly excited... We waited and waited and waited for it to be built and opened, then went and bought just about everything on the menu.

It was not even the tiniest bit the same... :( It seemed okay, was made well, cooked properly, but... Something was missing. Taste, and personality.

Drove back to Los Angeles, just for the day, dealt with the traffic, dealt with the crowds, and more... But we had some Tommy's fresh from the grill... Nom.

Then I moved to Kansas... Miss Tommy's, so much. :)

jade said...

This is a very appealing philosophy and already elevates the place above many other fast food joints. Best Food Truck In LA