Thursday, June 17, 2010

Genki Sushi (Hawaii)- Goodies Served on a Conveyor Belt

Mark Lim - Genki Sushi is what I imagine a restaurant would be like on planet Mars. I can picture a young Arnold Schwarzenegger from Total Recall sitting at a booth by the conveyor belt being served sushi by a three breasted mutant.

This place is cool.

If you're still confused, here's a video of how it works:


A sushi chef creates a variety of wonderful Japanese treats and places them on the conveyor belt so they can make a trip around the restaurant and eventually into your mouth.

Genki Sushi

You can always order straight from the menu but the fun part is waiting to see what random goodies pass by your table.

Genki Sushi

Each item comes on a colored plate which represents how much the goodie is. For example, the picture above is a spicy tuna roll and since it's on a green plate it only costs $1.50. The "Explosion Roll" bellow is more expensive so it's placed on a black plate which means it costs $5.00.

Genki Sushi

At the end of the meal your server adds up all your colored plates and gives you a final total. The sushi is real affordable but it's easy to get carried away when you become mesmerized by the slow moving conveyor.

Genki Sushi

I don't know if it's because I have the mind of a child but I got extremely giddy watching food go round and round the restaurant. After a while I was pulling plates off the conveyor belt, not because I was hungry but because it was satisfying to grab random stuff.

Genki Sushi
Hot Dog Sushi

My wife had to give me the evil eye because I wouldn't stop. After our meal I asked how much the most 2 people have ever spent at Genki and he said $70. On our first trip we ended up spending $65 coming in at a close second. I then started to feel real bad for the people who sat down belt from us. I barely let any food get past me.


Genki Sushi
Taste ------------ (6) Not the best sushi but decent for the price
Presentation -----(9) It's like eating in the future
Price ------------- (9) $1.50 - $5.00 a plate is affordable
Quantity --------- (7) The portions are good for the price
Satisfaction ----- (8) I liked it so much I went 2 more times

Rating: 8 out of 10

Okay, so the food wasn't all that great but the experience was. I had a great time eating there and I always left satisfied. If you've got one in your area I recommend trying it. :)

Be Fat! Be Happy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

blog is great~~祝你人氣高高~.................................................................

Jan said...

I stumbled upon your blog since it turns out our blogs have similar names.
Though I just recently started mine so i feel like i'm copying you. Just recently did my own dim sum entry also.

I giggle like a school girl at conveyor belt sushi places and will grab everything and anything. Boyfriend, who usually pays the bill, doesn't like that very much. lol

Love your blog and can't wait to read more!