Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Homemade Sushi and Tempura

Mark Lim - How dedicated I am to eating fatty hamburgers and writing reviews about them? So dedicated that I split my pants at Walmart today. -->

Yes, the fat has won and has destroyed my favorite pair of jeans. The worst part is that I'm at a stage in my life where I really don't care about myself and I debated if I should continue shopping with my new thigh vent instead of going home and changing.

Sanity was able to take control and I quickly went home to put on a pair of baggy loose fitting shorts.

The purpose of the outing, before my crotch exploded, was to surprise my wife with a special dinner. I've been trying to get more vegetables into my system and figured deep frying would give me the best odds of not throwing them back up.

I decided to pick up some zucchinis, string beans, and sweet potatoes to make vegetable tempura out of. I also saw some discount shrimp and figured I couldn't pass up $4 a pound.

It's pretty hard to get sushi grade fish in our town but I figured I could still make California Rolls and throw some shrimp tempura inside.

Walmart actually had a decent selection of international food and had everything I needed to make my surprise dinner.

Secret Dynamite Sauce - Mayonnaise mixed with Sriracha "Rooster" sauce

Next time I'll make a video of myself rolling the sushi. They're not perfect but they're edible. I'm still learning how to cook and trying to get it into my thick skull that measuring things isn't a waste of time. You really can't eyeball something if you have no clue what you are doing.

The wife loved it or at least was being nice. A win for me either way.

Be Fat! Be Happy!

No comments: