Saturday, September 7, 2013

First Time Baking - Chocolate and Potato Chip Cookies

Mark Lim - When it comes to cooking I'm pretty impatient. I'm the kind of guy that cooks stuff with twice the heat so it finishes in half the time. I also hardly ever measure anything. I usually just toss everything in a bowl and whatever happens, happens. Oh, and I'm also really cheap and will substitute ingredients for the crappier versions or just entirely not include the ingredient at all.

With that said, tonight I will be baking Chocolate and Potato Chip cookies. I feel the perfect storm of chaos is brewing...

That's what they're supposed to look like. You'll see how they're not supposed to look like at the end of this blog.

Before I start I just want to say that I've never actually baked before. The closest I ever got was when I saw something on the internet and decided to make 3 minute brownies in the microwave. Wow. So disgusting but so quick.

Anyway, this recipe for Lay's Chocolate and Potato Chip Cookies was given to me as a challenge and even though I am severely incompetent in baking I decided to accept.

Here is the recipe given to me:

Chocolate and Potato Cookies - Try this recipe for a delicious twist on the traditional chocolate chip cookie!

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups all-purpose gluten free baking flour or your favorite blend
  • 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum or guar gum
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut
  • 1/2 cup canola oil or butter (chewy or crisp)
  • 2 tablespoon agave nectar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup brewed coffee
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup miniature milk chocolate chips
  • 5 oz. LAY'S® Classic Potato Chips (about 4 cups or 75 chips), processed till finely minced but not mealy
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.2) Process 4 cups of LAY'S® Classic Potato Chips and weigh until you have 5 oz. (about half the bag).
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together baking powder, xanthan gum, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Stir in the brown sugar, and mix until combined.
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil (or butter), vanilla extract, agave and 5 tablespoons coffee.
  4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring until smooth. If the dough is too stiff, add more coffee as needed to soften. The finished dough should be thick.
  5. Stir in potato chips.
  6. Roll dough into walnut-sized balls and place two inches apart onto a sheet pan lined with parchment. Bake on the bottom rack for 15-17 minutes.
  7. Remove from oven to cool for five minutes then transfer cookies to a cooling rack.
  8. Repeat until all dough is used


So first things first. I don't like coconut so that's not going in. I have no clue what xanthan gum is so that's out. I also don't have agave nectar so I'm just going to use some honey instead. I have no clue what is going to happen.


 I follow the directions exactly. 1) I mix the dry ingredients. 2) I mix the wet ingredients. 3) I mix the wet and dry ingredients. 4) I make little balls on parchment paper.

Here's where things go wrong.


10 minutes go buy and something hits me. I forgot to add the freaking chocolate chips! This is a picture of me panicking and just frantically throwing chocolate chips on top of the cookies that have been baking for over 10 minutes. Sigh.


This is the final product. It's messy and shaped funny but it's a very sweet and savory treat. Even when I totally messed everything up it still turned out pretty good. I suggest you guys try it out but DO IT CORRECTLY and tell me if you like it.

I will probably leave the baking to my wife from now.

Be Fat! Be Happy!
            


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE IT!!! i think your after photo looks better then what they are supposed to look like!...Very cool idea and one receipt i HAVE TO TRY OUT!!