Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Shiki Restaurant: 5 Specialty Sushi Rolls: ($60) Rating: 8

Mark Lim - When I eat sushi I want to be served by Asians. There, I said it. Sure, there are other places with better tasting and more unique sushi than Shiki but the atomosphere, people, and the service are what make it my favorite restaurant. Asians! Yes, there are actually Asians that work there!

Chomp in Fullerton, CA has some awesomely creative rolls but it's always packed, you have to wait 20-45 minutes to be seated, and instead of being served by people from the Far East you're being served by people... further south.

I mean, if I want authentic Mexican food I want to be served by Mexicans. There, I said it again.

Oh So Fat, Shiki Sushi, Dragon Roll, Mark Lim, Poison Apple Shirts
Here's the fierce Dragon Roll with fresh Eel.
Oh So Fat, Shiki Sushi, Mark Lim, Poison Apple Shirts
Holding up Shiki Crunch Rolls
Oh So Fat, Shiki Sushi, Crunch Roll, Mark Lim, Poison Apple Shirts
More Crunch Roll action
Oh So Fat, Shiki Sushi, Shiki Rol, Mark Lim, Poison Apple Shirts
The Shiki Roll! I think. I totally forgot. This one had an assortment of raw fish on top of each roll.
Oh So Fat, Shiki Sushi, Mark Lim, Poison Apple Shirts
This one is my favorite because I love love love that red roe.

Oh So Fat, Shiki Sushi, Kings Roll, Mark Lim, Poison Apple Shirts
Kings Roll with... I honestly don't know but I remember it was hot, like in a heat sort of way.

Shiki Restaurant:
5 Different Sushi Rolls
Taste ------------ (7) Not the best but still very good.
Presentation -----(9) I love my Dragon Roll!
Price ------------- (7) $9-$14 a roll isn't too bad.
Quantity --------- (8) Lots and lots of food!
Satisfaction ----- (9) I always leave full and happy

Rating: 8 out of 10

There's a lot to be said about Shiki. The service is great. The owner comes around to every table and greets you, there's almost always a booth open for you so you don't have to wait, and it's just a peaceful quiet atmosphere. The place has character and the people that frequent there are pretty nice.

If you like sushi you've got to go to Shiki. I'll see you there!

Shiki Restaurant
1936 E Katella Ave
Orange, CA 92867

Be Fat! Be Happy!

1 comment:

SnapandPrint said...

This post made me mouth water!

I prefer to go to restaurants that have people of the ethnicity serving and cooking the food of that ethicity like you do.

My favorite Mexican food restaurant has Mexican owners/cooks/waiters...my favorite sushi place has real Japanese sushi chefs.

It's just common sense to go where the staff matches the food because they usually know what the are doing.