Monday, January 26, 2009

Chris' & Pitt's: Ribs, Chicken, Blooming Onion ($20.00) Rating: 7

Mark Lim - Chris' & Pitt's is a Southern California BBQ joint that has been around since I can remember. The place is almost always packed with jolly patrons and screaming kids and the decor looks like it hasn't changed in 50 years.

The best thing they've got there is their super seasoned blooming onion:

Golden slivers of sweet and crunchy onions deep fried to perfection. They add some sort of spice which gives it a kick and they serve it with their special Chris' & Pitt's BBQ Sauce. Definitely the best blooming onion in town.

I normally get their Prime Rib with aujous and horseradish which is usually pretty good but I wanted to try something new.

I was feeling hungry so I ordered the half chicken and ribs combo. Parts of the BBQ chicken were over cooked and tasted very tough and hard but the parts that were fattier were much better. The ribs weren't that great and were way over sauced but the price ($17) was right. The onion rings were the best I've had in a long time. Their fried stuff kicked their BBQ'ed stuff's butt.

The broasted chicken was awesome. The technique to broasting is to combine pressure cooking with deep frying which causes the chicken skin to be super crisp and crunchy while keeping the meat inside juicy. It's my favorite way to have my chicken cooked.

The ribs were quite generic tasting and the food wasn't as good as I remembered. I had to use a napkin to dab the sauce off the ribs so it didn't taste like I was just spooning ketchup in my mouth.

Chris' & Pitt's - Ribs, Broasted and BBQ Chicken, Blooming Onion
Taste ------------ (6) Not that spectacular
Presentation -----(7) It's a nice big plate of goodies
Price ------------- (8) It's a pretty good deal for the amount
Availability ----- (5) Only in Southern California
Quantity --------- (8) Lots of food. Didn't finish
Satisfaction ----- (7) I was full and ate it for breakfast the next day

Rating: 7 out of 10

Overall the place is pretty good. It's certainly not the best BBQ in the world or the nicest looking place but the portions are great and it's a pretty casual place, the price is right, and they give you a hot towel at the end to wipe away your shame.

I'll be back for the onion and chicken.

Be Fat! Be Happy!

If you like my blogs please check out my business one at: www.DirtyFilthyMoney.com!

No comments: